Sunday, March 23, 2008

Speaking of torrential downpours...

We had one Friday night. I didn't get caught in it, so that was good. Made it home by then. It cooled down the weather, which was nice. I opened the door to the balcony all evening.

As for my birthday, I did walk into Quepos and luckily, Sugar, a really yummy pastry shop, was open. I treated myself to a delicious slice of chocolate strawberry cake and a strawberry milk shake. It filled me up so much that I didn't even have much for dinner.

Yesterday, I walked down the road by Cafe Milagro that goes down to the beach. I ended up at Playa Beasaenz (or Basanez?). It was a small beach, more of a local scene. Very shallow and rocky. I stayed there for a bit, then walked up the road to the main road to catch a bus to Playa Manuel Antonio. But oh, it is Semana Santa, and the busses are packed and the beach is full. The first bus passed by and wouldn't let anyone on. I had to wait another 30 minutes for the next bus, which was reluctant to let anyone on. But luckily, he let 3 of us on. We were packed in there tighter than sardines. I had my arm fully extended to hold on to a side bar, and tried to brace myself for the downhill curvy road. It was adventurous, nevertheless.

I played around in the ocean for about 45 minutes before heading back to my apartment. I was on my way to meet up with Susan, who owns Books2Go in Quepos. It's the shops 3rd year anniversary, and she invited a few of us to hang out, have some rice and cake. A few of us from TEFL showed up - me, Henry, Martin, and Brian (the new teacher). It was good to hang out, take it easy.

Then afterwards, Henry and I hit the beach. Yeah, the beach again! It was so nice not to work. Just to play. The beach was packed, but I didn't care because I just wanted to be in the ocean, since I had barely seen it in my 2 weeks here! We stayed for sunset and then headed back towards town.

A bunch of us had planned to meet up at Barba Roja, a restaurant/bar at 10:30pm. I got home at about 7pm, so I had about 3ish hours to work. I crammed in some work before playtime.

Luckily, Barba Roja is only about a 5 minute walk for me (yay, something close by!), so I walked there. I ran into Dallas while waiting in line, then Henry showed up shortly after. For the girls, the cover charge was 1000 colones ($2), and we got 3 drinks (anything with rum or vodka, that is). And for the guys, it was 5000 colones ($10) and they got no drinks. Quite a rip off for the guys, eh?

Inside the place, we ran into Christine and Casey, who were hanging out with the 2 guys that live by TEFL. We see them all the time. Usually wave and say hello. It was good times. We drank, danced, and had a good time.

All in all, it was a good Saturday. As for today, I went to the beach this morning to relax for a bit. And now I'm up at school. Time for work! Maybe I'll treat myself to dinner tonight..who knows...

No comments: