Tuesday, March 11, 2008

first day of school

Yesterday was the first day of TEFL school. I have to say that it was pretty intense, but it went well. Little did I know that I would be learning a completely new language as well. We started to learn the language of the Boruca people, natives to Costa Rica. The learning of the language taught us how it would feel as non-native speakers and complete beginners. It was quite awkward at first, but then became a little (and I say a little) more natural.

Today, I had to do my first presentation -- memorize 6 lines and teach them to the class, using pictures, body gestures, and repetition. It went just fine. Since I am used to giving complex presentations from university, I did not have many problems. I stumbled a little bit, but it was not bad.

We also learned more of the Boruca language today. I am feeling more comfortable with it. At least the bits that we have learned. So for this weekend, I have signed up for a trip that goes to the Borucan village. We will stay with a host family and learn about the culture and language. It is a bit expensive for me to do at $90 for the trip, but I think that the opportunities to do something like this are pretty rare. We need 3 more people to sign up, so we'll see if the trip even happens...

So far, so good. My apartment is nice, my roommate is pretty cool. And damn, I am only a few minutes bus ride from the beach (but I haven't been yet!). Maybe tonight, I'll go to the beach. My stomach is not cooperating with me today, so we'll see...

2 comments:

textile_fetish said...

Hey your birthday is coming up really soon! How are you going to celebrate?

marisa said...

Hey Jennifer!

I have no idea what I'm going to do! It is Semana Santa (Holy Week) here, and everything will be closed. Unfortunately, I have to be in school...but in the evening, I might go to the beach and watch the sunset...