Monday, March 3, 2008

More man troubles...

Okay, here´s a mental image of the horrid mess I look like today - I forgot to put on deodorant this morning, I am wearing the same tank to from yesterday that I sweated profusely in, I have once white button down shirt over it -- it has brown dirt stains, yellow armpit stains, and a bit of red stain from Powerade I must have spilt on it, my hair is up and is a frizzy mess, and I sweated for about 6 hours of transit today...not exactly the picture of beauty here. Seriously, I don´t think I could look any worse!

And the Panamanian men still persist. I had about a 6 hour transit from Chitré to Boquete today. My first lover wannabe was my taxi driver in Chitré. After telling him a million times that I am married, he would not quit asking me to have him as my second husband. ´Let´s go on a trip´ Constant, persistent, the entire taxi ride to the bus terminal. By the way, this guy is old enough to be my dad...

Wannabe lover number 2 of the day...A bigger, older guy sat next to me on the bus from Chitré to Santiago. I already had a bad feeling. After the cab driver. I just didn´t want a man sitting next to me. But couldn´t do much about it. I just stared out the window the entire time. Then one time, he asked for the time, so I showed him my watch. He then talked to me to make conversation, not a big deal, right. Then he persisted in asking for my cell number. I told him I don´t have one. He insisted on giving me his cell number. And I said, why? So we can talk. I told him no thanks, and continued to look out the window. Luckily, we were close to Santiago, then got to Santiago, and that wannabe lover was gone. El gordo was also viejo as well. He was some 40 something years old.

And number 3. So I finally get to Boquete, even messier than I started. I even smell a bit since I forgot my deodorant. I decide to go for a refreshing walk to Boquete Bajo. A guy who works on one of the busses that goes from Boquete to Boquete Bajo first saw me in Boquete and said hola. Whatever. I walk on. I enjoy Boquete Bajo, the flower garden that a homeowner shares with the public. It was lovely. On my return walk down to Boquete, the bus passes by and Mr lover number 3 waves at me. And I get back to Boquete, and guess who I have to pass by again. Yup, lucky number 3. I walk on, ignore, and he yells out a few things from his bus.

Panamanian men are so damn persistent, it is driving me up the wall. Seriously, Panamanian women are gorgeous, they take care of themselves. Hit on one of them. I look frumpy as hell and can´t avoid it. Sheesh.

And yesterday, some kid said that he was in love with me. Ick. WTF.

The hisses and whistles I can ignore, but the yelling and talking and persistance is wearing me thin. I didn´t have the troubles to this extent in South America, so I assumed that it would be about the same. But it is far much worse here. I am getting sick and tired of it.

I sadly have to say that I don´t think I can travel for extended periods of time in these regions alone. This coming from a season travel vet, an intrepid, independent person...sad to say.

Part of me is ready to get my TEFL classes over with and go home. But I know I am in the home stretch now. A few days in Boquete, then a few days in Dominical. Dominical is a cool place...a lot of travellers there, so I don´t think I will have that many man problems there. Then a month in Manuel Antonio, where I´ll live with a Canadian guy (he´s harmless, he´s gay - will work out really well then) and go to school. Weekends back in Dominical for surfing. Then back home.

Despite the issues, I will still make the most of it...

No comments: