Wednesday, January 30, 2008

San Blas tomorrow

Alright, I got all my details straight now. I leave at 5:30am tomorrow for Archipelago San Blas. It is an area, also known as Kuna Yala, that has some 400 little islands and is inhabited by the Kuna people. I believe the Kuna actually came from Colombia originally. They are known for their textiles -- moreso the applique work they do.

I will go by Jeep on a bumpy road, some 4 or 5 hours later, the Jeep will drop me off at a river. Then I meet a guy in a small boat to take me to wherever I end up. The 3 day/2 night tour plus the Jeep transport will cost $95. Pretty good, compared to the $450+ other places are charging!

I am not excited to wake up at 5am, but I am excited to get out of the city. I told one of my roommates that I was am going to San Blas, and he said that it is one of those places you have no idea still exists. So that is good to hear.

I also want to go with a tour because of what I have read about the islands. The Kuna Yala is an autonomous region that is not controlled by the Panamanian coast guard. So some of the drug traffickers from Colombia go by boat and then stay on some of the islands. Not really advisable for me to go alone on that note!

Yay! Beaches and blue water!!!

PS. I will be back in Panama City on Feb 2nd.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

ahhhh take lots of pics and show me when i get to CR! :)