Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Strangely Panama City

Sometimes I go places to get away from what is American - the mass consumerism, the fancy cars, the massive buildings...but sometimes I feel like I am not far away from it.

Panama City - the city of shiny new BMWs, KFC, McDonalds, Office Max, and the richie richer stores that are all over America, and not to mention cranes and highrises everywhere. It is hard to believe that I am in Central America with all of those reminders of something I wanted to get away from. And the currency -- the US dollar. Not to mention that things are expensive, too. The only difference is the language and trying to cross the road (think frogger).

I guess you have to thank the expats for that. Thanks expats.

That was my first impression. Tomorrow, I will go a wandering about, check out the canal, the old area of town, then hopefully leave to a different area of Panama the next day...

No comments: