Monday, January 21, 2008

The big trip - Intro

"Pura Vida" -- Spanish for "pure life". It describes the relaxed style of the Ticos, the Costa Ricans. Life is good. Another blogger, Gesi, defines Pura Vida so well...

It's a mentality. It's a mindset. It's a lifestyle. It's when everything, everything, everything is in harmony. It's when life is a stroll. It's when even amidst the numerous activities and projects and effort to get things done, to take the right steps, to accomplish what you thought you've always wanted, you're not whizzing about in a dizzy losing sight of why you were running and spinning in the first place!

Pura vida is life at a pace that makes you enjoy every moment, every beauty that surrounds you, that you have, that is yet to come...the moment it comes...not before, not after. It's when we, as humans, take our place in the grand scheme of Life; we are part of nature. Our lives are part of something bigger and greater...We are the most important things we have, and the relationships we build, the most cherished. And in recognizing this - lightness, peace, serenity, joy settles in...tranquilo...tranquilo.

Pura vida is seeing everything and everyone in your life new; it's filtering everything you return to from vacation, and everything that comes to you with - Is this what truly matters in life? Pura vida is not limited to the beautiful blue beaches, the lush green trees, the colorful flowers and sea life...pura vida is life right here...right now.


I am quitting my job as a bench jeweler. I have been there for about 3.5 years. Commuting 40 miles a day for less than $20K a year has worn down on me -- 10 hour work days (including commute). It's been a fun job, I've learned a lot. Change. Change is good. I am ready to start a new adventure. I will start my own business in April. But until then, I am ready to live the pura vida lifestyle for the next few months...

I started this blog to chronicle my journey through Panama and Costa Rica. This will be an 11 week trip starting on January 29th. I will travel through Panama for about 10-11 days (too short!), then cross overland to Costa Rica and make my way to Manuel Antonio on Feb 10th. Sean, my husband, will meet me there. We'll attend our friend's wedding on the 11th, then travel around Costa Rica for 2 weeks together. He will then leave, and I'll be on my own for a few weeks. On March 10th, I will start a TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) course that will last 4 weeks. After the course ends, I will have 3 days to make my way to San Jose, Costa Rica, to fly back home.

Initial plannings...
29 Jan - Tue - arrive PTY (Panama City) - 2:05pm - Overnight at Zuly's
30 Jan - Wed - Panama City - Overnight at Zuly's
31 Jan - Thur - fly to El Porvenir? -- San Blas Archipelago - explore the Kuna
1 Feb - Fri - San Blas Archipelago - explore the Kuna culture
2 Feb - Sat - leave San Blas, fly to Panama City, then fly to Bocas del Toro
3 Feb - Sun - Bocas del Toro
4 Feb - Mon - Bocas del Toro
5 Feb - Tues - Bocas del Toro
6 Feb - Wed - Bocas del Toro
7 Feb - Thur - David
8 Feb - Fri - David?
9 Feb - Sat - cross the border into CR, overnighting Uvita?
10 Feb - Sun - Manuel Antonio - overnight Costa Verde II (complete, utter splurge)
11 Feb - Mon - Manuel Antonio - Sara's wedding - overnight Costa Verde II (complete, utter splurge)
12 Feb - to Mar 8 -- TBA
Mar 9 to Apr 5 - back in Manuel Antonio, studying for TEFL course
Apr 8 - Tues - fly back home

No comments: