Saturday, February 2, 2008

Paradise Found

Part of me wants to keep this place a total secret. Part of me wants to tell people...

I came back from San Blas today. It was, like the guy in my hostel told me, one of those places that you hear about and see in pictures, but do not believe it exists...until you find it.

I will keep this short and sweet for now, maybe do a full write up much later.

The tour ended up being just what I wanted. I went by jeep to the San Blas area. It was one crazy bumpy ride over. We got to the river, then I went by boat down the river and into the sea.

The island I stayed on held a Kuna community of about 400-600 people. Back to nature. All the house materials made of earth products -- walls of wood that resembled bamboo, roofs made of palm tree leaves. The toilets...now this will sound strange...right over the water. Yeah, that is right, we pooed and peed in the ocean. But funny thing was that the most colorful fish we saw were right under the toilet, the water was clear, and it did not stink. But I would not swim there. There are no real beaches on the island anyways.

Instead, you take a boat out to an island further out, a deserted or almost deserted island, and swim, snorkel, relax. Paradise found.

Besides the island I stayed on, I visited 2 other islands. We were the only people on the island other than 1 small family. The first island was truely paradise. I believe it was the only island with flushing toilets and running water. Great for swimming. The second was surrounded by coral, so not so good for swimming.

Each day, we would get breakfast, then our boat driver would take us to our island of the day. They would leave us there in peace, then would come and bring lunch, leave again, then pick us up later.

The simple life...not much to do. Peace, tranquility. Some people get bored because they want something to do. Not me. We ended up making fun for ourselves. Underwater handstand and front or backflip from water at your knees contests, coconut throwing contests, playing hot potato with a local medicinal fruit with a local boy, island arts and crafts, etc etc etc.

And the people. Wow. The most friendly, likeable people on earth. Keeping their culture. Sharing it. And damn, they are smart business people -- making a killing off of it.

Some people think that $25 is too expensive to pay for an island stay (sleeping in a hammock -- okay, fun to rest, but not so comfy to sleep in) - but it includes all meals, transport to other islands, snorkel gear, and heck, PARADISE. Damn, I thought I was cheap. Seriously, I think it is a hell of a bargain for finding paradise.

I have found a new #1 favorite spot in the world. It is the San Blas Archipelago. Life is simple. Everyone works. It is a great community feel. The people always have fun every day. I believe that they are rich (from tourism), but you would not be able to tell because their life is simple. It is perfect in paradise.

I am part speechless of the experience because it was so incredible and unique. I wish I could have stayed for longer (but my big backpack was in Panama City and my money was running out and I have a flight out). But I am okay with it. I got a taste of paradise, and I know I will be back. Back to the Kuna Yala.

Aaaahhhh. That is how I feel. That is all I will say about paradise for now...

Tonight, I am in blah Panama City. But tomorrow I will be in Bocas del Toro. No place to stay. Negative response from the place I emailed. And Panamanian public phones suck - I have not been able to make a call out yet (and have tried and tried and tried). People are telling me that everything is booked. I may have to sleep on the beach for a night. I fly out in the morning. I guess I will see what happens. It is all part of the adventure...

No comments: