Saturday, February 23, 2008

Santa Catalina, at last!

Yesterday, Sean and I parted ways. He was on his way up to San Jose, Costa Rica by bus to fly out today. I decided to hit the beach and do some more surfing. After a harrowing 13ish hour transportation mess yesterday, I finally made it to Santa Catalina.

It was interesting nevertheless. Boquete to David. David to Santiago. Santiago to Sona. Wait for 3.5 hours. Sona to Santa Catalina, but part of the way our bus broke down, and also came to a halt as the helper guy and a farmer guy ran out of the bus to chase a giant iguana. They leaped over a barbed wire fence to catch it, and they did. He brought it back on the bus. Then we stopped by one house, I´m assuming it´s the kids house. And he dropped the giant iguana off to an older guy in a hammock. I´m guessing that he caught the family´s dinner for the night.

I wanted to seek out a beachfront place, but little did I know that it was up a hill and quite a hike with all my gear to get there. I finally got there, but nothing was available. I was losing daylight hours, so I talked to a guy from Florida, whose kids were surfing into the sunset. I was going to beg/bribe him to take me back to town because ther was no way in hell that I was going to do the hike again. Luckily, the owner of Mar y Sol hotel came by to let his puppy play in the water. He took me back to town, and I stayed at his hotel for the night. Expensive, but not many options. Today, I moved to a very pink hotel for $25-night. Not bad, did laundry, and hiked back to the beach.

Tomorrow, I´ll surf all day and that´s about it. One of these days I´m here, I´ll try to make it out to Isla Coiba. We´ll see...

Internet is slow and expensive here, so you won´t here from me for a few more days...

No comments: